Law and Order – Barnyard Offense

by Joan on January 7, 2013

Handsome. A handsome bad boy. How cliché.

My oh my.

When my first fluffy chicks arrived in the mail almost two years ago and I embarked on this wonderful chicken mama experience, I had no idea I’d be writing about this.

I’m sorry to report that Liberty the rooster has turned into one bad, bad boy.  The barnyard has gone from G rated to, well….my oh my.

Yes, I’m talking about chicken sex. LOTS of chicken sex.  And by the looks (and sounds) of it, ALL unwanted by the ladies.

Our pleasant routine has been shattered.  The ladies are so scared of him they’re hiding in the nesting boxes or walking around on the floor of the coop at all hours of the night. During the day he’ll start stalking one of them and all of a sudden she’ll realize he’s after her. There’s a SQUAAAWK and a BWAAACK and she’ll frantically start running away…but there’s no place to hide in the barnyard.  He always gets his girl.

EXCEPT Scarlett.  She not only gives him the evil eye and he stops in his tracks, if she is so inclined she’ll intervene on behalf of another hen.  She runs after him and he’ll do an abrupt about face and pretend to be extremely interested in something in the grass.

You go, Scarlett.

Being new to this and all, I’ve been doing some reading on the subject. (Yes, I’m spending my leisure time reading about chicken sex.  I’m fully aware of how ridiculous that sounds.) He’s only six months old – a teenager in chicken years.  He may mellow with time, just like his human counterparts.  On the other hand, he may become downright violent.  There’s no definitive answer.  But I’ve read all kinds of stories about “roosters gone wild” and seriously injuring hens.

If this domestic violence gets out of hand, he’ll have to go.  That will make me sad.  He’s the only one here that was raised from an egg and Maude was such a good mama to him.  He will still hop up on my arm and eat treats out of my hand.  He’s quite lovely to look at.

Even worse, I have no idea how to re-home a rooster.  There’s not much of a market for aggressive roosters – except as the main course for Sunday Supper.  I guess I’ll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Until then, I’ll continue to hope he mellows out.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  And I’m doing some more reading.  You think there’s such a thing as self-defense lessons for hens?

(Sharing at Green Eggs and GoatsTilly’s Nest, Deborah Jean’s Dandelion HouseKathe With An E and The Self Sufficient HomeAcre)

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Tammy/Our Neck of the Woods January 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

He’s at the height of his hormone surge right now! Since he’s the only rooster, it may take him a while to cool off. When we put our younger rooster in with our older one, the older one kept the younger one in line and even to this day he chases him away if he’s getting too rough with the girls.
Tammy/Our Neck of the Woods´s last blog post ..Chocolate Mousse

Susan January 8, 2013 at 8:15 am

Our roosters when to “freezer camp”. We got the barnyard scramble from the hatchery early last spring. You never know what the ratio of hens/roosters will be. Our daughter was very embarrassed once she figured out that chicken sex is what was happening out there. The final straw for us was the letter from a neighbor complaining about the crowing that started about 4:30 (or earlier) each morning. We butchered in batches of about six roosters at a time. It was tough as many of them had names. My husband and son skinned the birds rather than pluck. My mother-in-law still prefers to pluck. I cooked/boiled the meat down and, once cool, deboned and packaged about two cups of meat per bag for the freezer. Now, I can pull out and defrost two cups of chicken ready to go into casserole, soup, or quesadillas. Love your site!

Nancy January 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

Okay Joan, the bar has been raised!
Nancy´s last blog post ..Law and Order – Barnyard Offense

Joan January 8, 2013 at 9:20 am

Thanks for the timeline, Tammy. Apparently Liberty the rooster and my youngest son (freshman in college) are the same approximate age, hormonally speaking! :-)

Susan, you should know that I have the utmost respect for farmers that can cull their own birds. I just don’t know if I can. I haven’t eaten meat or chicken in the past 30 years so that’s a really hard one for me to even contemplate. BUT, the thought has crossed my mind. I’ll keep writing about the ongoing saga! Thanks for your input – and I love the term “freezer camp”!
Joan´s last blog post ..Law and Order – Barnyard Offense

Joell from Red Van Ramblings January 9, 2013 at 8:11 am

So I read the post you linked for TALU yesterday and I realize that this rooster is the baby chick in that post…He’s all grown up now and a handsome fella too. But a typical male, I guess! HA! Anyway, I say, Go Scarlett, too!!
Joell from Red Van Ramblings´s last blog post ..How do you fight that post-holiday funk?

admin January 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thanks for stopping by, Joell! And yes, Liberty is quite the dude… :-) Hoping he mellows out soon!

Heather Jackson January 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Ha! This made me laugh. We have a rooster named Randy. Yes, we named him that because of his personality. He is quite the ladies man.

Nancy Nancy January 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Randy, what a great name for a rooster.

Jessy at Our Side of the Mountain January 10, 2013 at 7:32 am

I’ve watched You Tube videos…Anyway….LOL When we incubated chicken eggs in spring 2011 we ended up with 3 roosters out of 10. Phew! But a couple – and one in particular – were becoming quite “interesting” by 5 months. We called one Ugly…If you get my drift. Every time I would be around the “ladies” they would hop on TOP of me to get away from Ugly and Ewok. Sometimes I’d find them on top of the wooden swingset or camper. So, we rehomed them a few miles down the road. They had over 100 hens and another rooster (they were planning to munch on) and would keeps ours as long as they didn’t attack. We found out the “shy” one Feathers “flew the coop” and disappeared. :( We should’ve kept him. He was more timid then the others and BEAUTIFUL. But what can you do? Our coop became so much more calm….and quiet…and the “ladies” relaxed.

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick January 11, 2013 at 3:41 pm

He IS a looker! Not all especially amorous roosters become physically aggressive, so there’s real hope for Liberty still. You might consider changing his name to Rhett. LOL! I love that Scarlett puts him in his place! You may want to think about hen saddles if his advances begin to wear bald spots on some of the hens’ backs. They’re very inexpensive and come in lots of fun patterns and materials.

I’d love to have you join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-16-hogwash-soaps.html

I hope you can make it!
Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick´s last blog post ..Repairing a Chicken’s Broken Beak

admin January 12, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hi Kathy! I’ve hopped on at Clever Chicks a few times and found lots of fun blogs to follow there. Thanks for stopping by – see you at Clever Chicks next week!

–Joan

In The Middle Of Nowhere January 13, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I hope your little guy settles down or he may find himself in a chicken pot pie!