Sadly, it happens to us all. You wake up one summer, pull out your shorts and realize, “ACK. I can not go out in public like this.” It’s time to get friendly with walking shorts, capris, cropped pants or skirts. You go shopping and quickly learn that these longer shorts/shorter pants pose all sorts of fashion dilemmas. At their worst they make your calves look huge, your legs short and stubby plus it’s tricky to get the right tops so your body doesn’t look like it’s split in two.
Fortunately, since it’s the season, there are several excellent articles online telling (and showing) women how to wear these pants well. Here are the main pieces of advice I’ve gleaned from the wonderful fashion ladies of the internet:
- Never wear a capri that ends at the thickest part of your calf.
- Straight leg to narrow is the way to go. Why oh why does anyone make a crop pant that flares like a bell bottom? It doesn’t flatter ANYONE.
- A heeled sandal helps elongate the leg when wearing these types of pants.
- A walking short that end right above the knee is the most flattering for most body types.
- If you like crop pants they should end right above the thinnest part of your ankle. If you are tall you need to be super careful to make sure it doesn’t look like you are wearing flood pants.
- Remember the rule of thirds. If your pants are 2/3 of your outfit the top should be 1/3 or vice versa. It’s easy to chop yourself in half when wearing crop pants if you wear a shirt that is too long.
- To help make your legs appear longer match your sandal to your skin tone.
Want to explore more? Check out these great posts:
- Look Casual-Chic in Cropped Pants
- Capri Pant Don’ts
- How to Wear Capris
- How to Create a Long Leg Line With Cropped Pants
- Can You Wear Cropped Pants?