Dr. Oz’s 48 Hour Cleanse Diet: Final Report

by Nancy on February 24, 2012

Pineapple Kale Juice Drink

This drink is even brighter green in person.

My husband, Alan, and I finished the Dr. Oz 48 hour cleanse diet. When I left you I was heading to sip my first pineapple-kale juice snack. I don’t have a juicer so this drink was made by running pineapple, kale, cucumbers, mint and water through a blender and straining out the juice. Very beautiful to look at. The taste so-so.

For dinner we had the vegetable broth I wrote about earlier this week. Some people wrote to say they, too, found the recipe on Dr. Oz’s site confusing. Many went ahead and left the vegetables in the broth. If I were to make it again I’d saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil to mellow out the onion flavor, then dice and slice the remaining vegetables and simmer the whole thing until the vegetables were tender.

The advantage to leaving the vegetables in the soup is it gives you something to eat. Aside from the quinoa most of this diet is liquid. This soup calls for a head of cabbage. Be forewarned, your house will smell like it.

Dr Oz cleanse dinner menu

Dinnertime: I used this martini glass so you can see the color of the broth. It's a purple/brown. If I had used a red cabbage it would look more purple.

Here’s a funny story about the soup. On night two it was a little harder going down and I couldn’t finish my bowl. Our two doxies were displaying their usual bad begging manners (poor upbringing.) I set the bowl on the floor to see what they would do. Slink (our piggie) starting lapping away. Alan pushed him out of the way to give Friedl a go at it. Friedl took a sniff, one lick and walked away.

The dinner menu calls for the soup, fermented sauerkraut and apples. I couldn’t find fermented sauerkraut so we skipped it. Plus with the cabbage in the soup, I’m not sure I could have eaten sauerkraut (too many sulfur smells going on for me.)

What I Liked About the Diet:

• The instructions tell you to take a bath! Seriously, what’s not to like about a diet that tells you to relax and take a bath?
  • I loved the look of all the fruits and vegetables. They help you feel good, clean, healthy and virtuous.
  • You drink a lot of liquids and I’m bad at that so it was a good kick in the behind.
  • Alan lost 3 pounds (of course it was all water, but still.)
  • We both thought the diet gave us a sense of well-being.
  • I never felt hungry (although I never felt satiated.)

What I Didn’t Like About the Diet

• The recipe instructions were not clear.
  • The shopping list from the website lists all the food you’d need if you made all the recipes but you don’t need to make the alternative recipes. I had a lot of food leftover and guess I could have saved almost half my bill ($83.98) by creating my own shopping list.
  • Alan said he was starving the whole time.

The Nitty Gritty Questions People Asked Me About

Okay people, first things first, just because a diet says cleanse doesn’t mean it’s like prepping for a colonoscopy. Most of the diet is liquid. If you drink the recommended 2 quarts of water along with the snacks (juiced fruits and vegetables,) the soup and the dandelion tea you will be floating your way to pee every hour or so and that’s about it.

My favorite recipe was the Pineapple, Lemon and Pomegranate Blend-Free Detox Drink. I used my Soda Stream to give it a little fizz kick. It was refreshing and healthy. A perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up for anytime.

(Update: How to Save Money on the Dr. Oz 48-Hour Cleanse Diet)

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Shannon February 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for the update!!!

Nichoel February 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks for this blog! I’m starting the Dr. Oz cleanse tomorrow and I found your feedback very helpful.

Nancy February 28, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m glad you liked it. Let me know what you think of the cleanse.

Karin March 4, 2012 at 6:46 am

Just finished Day 1 and was fine in terms of not being hungry. For some reason the pomegranate, lemon and pineapple drink seemed to soothe my hunger pangs. I liked the soup and am looking forward to having it again. The downside to the cleanse, in my opinion, is the expense. My bill was about $80 also and I am wondering what the heck to do with the rice and almond milk and the flaxseed. Maybe I will just stay on the diet for a few more days.
One more thing … not crazy about the quinoa for breakfast. I think I might like it better mixed with veggies and eaten at dinner.

Nancy March 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm

That’s a great suggestion…to mix the quinoa with veggies at dinner. There can’t be any magic order in how to eat the foods and the veggies with the quinoa would help mask some of the soapy taste if the quinoa wasn’t rinsed well enough.

I agree, the expense is the drawback to this diet and if the shopping list were more thoughtfully composed it wouldn’t cost people so much. I made a double batch of oatmeal yesterday and used almond milk for half of the water. As both almond and rice milk are slightly sweet they don’t lend themselves as well to savory dishes. Purchasing both those milks isn’t necessary for a 2-day diet, one or the other would suffice.

Sandra March 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I wish I would have read through all the comments before I went shopping for this cleanse!! It reallly ticks me off that I spent a lot of unnecessary money on expensive foods I didn’t even need to buy!!! This cleanse had better make me feel better!!!!

Nancy March 13, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I feel your pain (as you saw from my grocery store receipt!)

Sydney March 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Is it suggested to do during a work week? Are you in the bathroom alot?

Nancy March 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm

If you make the drinks/soup ahead I think it would be easier to do it during a work week – less time focusing on not eating. This diet is mostly liquid. You’ll be peeing a lot, but no more than if you drink several glasses of water a day.

Priscilla May 29, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I HATED the quinoa in the morning. also, I couldn’t find any pomegranate juice, kale sauerkraut and like two more ingredients so my meals were not as tasty. I did feel hungry and annoyed the whole time, but in the end I felt way better.

Nancy June 1, 2012 at 7:23 am

Glad to hear I’m not the only one that felt grouchy!

Kim June 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Today is day 1 of the cleanse for me. I have two questions. The first is, can you drink water while on this cleanse? The second, are you supposed to eat the vegetables in the soup or just the broth? My soup is cooking now and should be finised soon, so I can have it before 7PM. Thanks in advance for any responses received.

Nancy June 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm

You can drink as much water as you want. I strained the vegetables and ate the broth but someone commented they say a video where Dr. Oz made the soup and left the vegetables in. It doesn’t make much difference either way. Leaving the vegetables in might make it taste more filling. Don’t you love the cabbage smell in your house?

Diane June 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

Is all that quinoa for 1 meal or both….seems like way to much for 1 breakfast

Nancy June 18, 2012 at 9:40 am

Yes, you are right. It’s way more quinoa than you’d eat, although it’s for 2 breakfasts, not one.

carole hart July 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Is the grocery list for 2 people or 1? Do we eat the vegetables or just the broth?